Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improve your Battle Tactics - Formations Discussion Series 01

Improve your Battle Tactics - Formations Discussion Series 01

Do you like watching your battle records? Always looking for options to tweak your formation?

Section Leader /Chairmen team invites you to discuss formations. We will provide some material to discuss but you are invited to share your own formations or formations you encountered as well for discussion.
    Galactic Chairman
    Repair Station Section Leader
    Event log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    PVP: Craven/Chris/Slade T-IV [+15], Sky Mightlis [+15], Penelope [+15], Galaxy Lord [+T3], Roland [+T3]

So this should be the first formation to discuss:

Screenshot_2017-09-14-18-36-43.jpg

What do you think about ben's formation? (Well, you can also discuss mine and confirm you like it )

If you owned the same commanders would you choose the same positions?
    Galactic Chairman
    PVP: Craven/Chris/Slade T-IV [+15], Sky Mightlis [+15], Penelope [+15], Galaxy Lord [+T3], Roland [+T3]

Ben has spread out his force out his ship killers out, none are in the same row and column.

Figures if he shot is first he hopes that Azrael will weaken the opposition with his Caroline dodging and Ursa blocking attacks. This will be followed by Caroline attack as second shooter down the middle path and her secondary attack kills of any of the weaken ships in the same vertical as Azrael. Dor's critical chance increase wil help DFS or Ursa do more damage.

With Caroline in position 5, if the left and right columns are disabled, she is still free to attack.

With Azrael & Dor in the same column he hopes that that column total firepower can beat up the opposing column.

Ursa in the position 7 is acts as either the sacrifice or hero if he goes into berserk mode.

If he shoots second, he will hope the same thought comes to play. Except that he hopes Caroline will carry the day. And if he has Krill on Azrael hopefully will revive Azrael to full health and accumulator status to fight on.
    Nopo.s819 World 498 (iOS) aka StaleBread
    In existence since 2015 January
    Sertai ASEAN Force jika faham ayat ini. https://www.facebook.com/groups/495394470641302/
    Jangan lupa memperkenalkan diri

Because Ben does not have Kate Burglar, he would be shooting second and expecting to shoot second, thus his strategy. ben?
    Nopo.s819 World 498 (iOS) aka StaleBread
    In existence since 2015 January
    Sertai ASEAN Force jika faham ayat ini. https://www.facebook.com/groups/495394470641302/
    Jangan lupa memperkenalkan diri

Generally I think Azrael and Dark Flagship (DFS) don't match very well. There is always a risk that DFS undoes the curse of Azrael. Therefore I never considered DFS for my fleet.

Second thing that I'm sceptical that it works so good is usage of Ursa. He is pretty exposed there and the weakest ship and destined to sacrifice is DFS imho, which is very hidden for that.
    Galactic Chairman

Brigadier
    So Nachteule,

You have Caroline last in your fleet. Is that the best position for her? Take my formation: Raksha, Caroline, SL, DFS, and FD. I get Raksha to fire first, then Caroline fires, then SL, then DFS, and finally FD. Am I doing this correctly? I actually have all of the commanders Ben is showing but this is November so is his formation still a good one?

Let me add info to my question. I'm 16 rover chips away from getting Louise +7 and I will replace SL with her. For LTs, I have Knous on Caroline, Krill on Raksha, and then Herbert on Louise. I need a hard hitter like FD since Louise and Raksha are known to bring nerf bats to a gun fight. Maybe Ursa or Dor? But that also means I lack the ranger chips to keep those 2 around especially since I'll have enough to get Caroline to +9. I also have Fitz, but he's getting long in the tooth. Besides I have just enough cores for +9 on Caroline. Raksha is +8 and DFS is +6 leaving FD at +7. It'll be awhile to get enough cores for +8 on anyone else.

Also, looking at galas again, Caroline presents a problem. Rangers by default are very good blockers and not so good dodgers. Caroline's special is dodging so my ranger module needs to be regeared for her. Right not, my TS4 ranger module is Crit/Block/Hit so I need to change that to Crit/Dodge/Hit? Caroline can't dodge anything so far and her dodge is 44%. It's low because she has a dual r6 gala on her for 30% dodge. I'm thinking of swapping the dual r7 dodge/anti-crit FD has with her but I saw a drop of 21M force doing that. I guess FD like dodge better than she does:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alarinn View Post
    You have Caroline last in your fleet. Is that the best position for her? Take my formation: Raksha, Caroline, SL, DFS, and FD. I get Raksha to fire first, then Caroline fires, then SL, then DFS, and finally FD. Am I doing this correctly? I actually have all of the commanders Ben is showing but this is November so is his formation still a good one?
    I think the positioning of commanders does not depend on the commander itself in many cases but on the other commanders. That are my thoughts why I have my positioning: Raksha - first, that is seeded. Dor - second, because he wears Knous and additionally he makes Kate a one-shot killer very often and ensures that Kate, Azrael and Caro will hit, Kate - third, provides protection to Raksha and Dor, Azrael - fourth, curse, curse, curse!!!, Caroline - fifth, mainly for 4 reasons: many opponents I encounter have strong commanders Caroline cannot one-shot, so it's not so important when Caroline damages opposing ships; if her target is cursed by Azrael she will take it out and a second in many cases; at last position she is pretty save against Accu refill chain breaks by Star Lord; finally she is well protected at this position.

In your case I think: Your Caro cannot benefit so much from other commanders like in my case from Dor and Azrael so it might be more important to let her fire sooner. After FD she would apply more damage but if that is not needed for a kill that's fine so.

Let me add info to my question. I'm 16 rover chips away from getting Louise +7 and I will replace SL with her. For LTs, I have Knous on Caroline, Krill on Raksha, and then Herbert on Louise. I need a hard hitter like FD since Louise and Raksha are known to bring nerf bats to a gun fight. Maybe Ursa or Dor? But that also means I lack the ranger chips to keep those 2 around especially since I'll have enough to get Caroline to +9. I also have Fitz, but he's getting long in the tooth. Besides I have just enough cores for +9 on Caroline. Raksha is +8 and DFS is +6 leaving FD at +7. It'll be awhile to get enough cores for +8 on anyone else.
    I don't know your metagame but Louise does not help against Galaxy Lord and she cannot break Accu refiller chains. She is good at speeding up the Accu recharge of your fleet (especially if commanders don't get hits due to Raksha) and probably taking FD out for Louise would be my preferred choice. FD is not really a killer anymore... but I don't know how strong your FD is and what equipment you own.

Also, looking at galas again, Caroline presents a problem. Rangers by default are very good blockers and not so good dodgers. Caroline's special is dodging so my ranger module needs to be regeared for her. Right not, my TS4 ranger module is Crit/Block/Hit so I need to change that to Crit/Dodge/Hit? Caroline can't dodge anything so far and her dodge is 44%. It's low because she has a dual r6 gala on her for 30% dodge. I'm thinking of swapping the dual r7 dodge/anti-crit FD has with her but I saw a drop of 21M force doing that. I guess FD like dodge better than she does:-)
    I am not a huge fan of critical as I have Dor. I use him for 1.5 years now so my TS-41 has always been optimized around hitrate, dodge and block. You also needed high block for Cryptor-based and high dodge for Dor-dodge based Primus fleets.
    Against fleets without Dor/Brian/Galaxy Lord Caro can still dodge her way through the battle therefore I would give that Windtrail R7 to Caro. FD with plundered DEF and buffed block and natural high anti-crit can defend himself pretty well I think. The force swipe does not matter imho.
    Galactic Chairman

Brigadier
    Ok thanks for the feedback. So you are really saying I need to use Dor with Caroline and replace FD with Louise and keep Raksha. I'll have to take a look at things and see where I stand. Right at this very moment, I am using SL +7, so swap him out with Dor and keep Caroline at +8? Or keep SL+7 and just swap out FD with Louise once I get Louise to +7 and keep Dor on the bench? I don't have anywhere near the ranger chips for Dor, SL, and Caroline.

Interesting you put Knous on Dor and not Caroline. What do you have on Caroline?

No, I am not saying you need Dor. I really like him for being well designed, balanced, supportive and cheap. You cannot make much things wrong with him and if he leaves PvP fleet some days there might be still use for him in Primus or Wormhole fleets.

Dor is useful in many but not all fleets. In your case I would try to make the best of the commanders you own, that's good material. But when Dor is disabled my fleet gets trouble with hitting opponent's Caro and Louise even with avg hitrate = 180.

I have Armor, Laser and Eye all level III on Dor and all regular equipment maxed. That makes him a veritable fighter and Knous I want to trigger as soon as possible.

The whole formation is "composed" to drag opposing shots to Raksha in left column, kill/disable right column by Knous, Azrael, Caro and then "work through opponent's formation" from right to left.

As written yesterday in a different thread: With Dark FS I would use Raksha only if still first shot is given in most cases or Krill triggers reliable such that Raksha activates his special.
    Galactic Chairman

Brigadier
    I see your point. I don't have everything level III, all level II and a couple of III but no eye III yet. I will change the ranger module to block/dodge/hit as soon as I get enough superconductors. I need to reread DFS again because I'm not understanding everything he does, especially negatively to your own fleet. I've always heard never to put Azrael in the same row as DFS, but never heard of Raksha. Is DFS' attack also affecting our own commanders in the same row? I need to find that thread you spoke of. Thanks for your info, it really does help!