Thread: Commander Focus #34: Brian

Galactic Chairman

Commander Focus #34: Brian

20171010_113000.jpg

Brian
    Bloodthirsty Army
    Vertical attack, plunders 5M HP from targets and then deals 125% S-ATK damage. It will also recover 100 Accumulator for the ship itself and increase 100% Block and 100% Hit for all friendly ships, lasting for one round.

Hello, Commanders.

In this week handbook we will discuss about the commander that lately is making me wish so much that we had a 6 ships fleet: Brian! When Rick was released I decided to get him, but I faced a big trouble, who would I remove? Well, I can't remove Kate (or any flagship) and Bernard gives me the speed advantage, so I could only look for Brian, Dark Sky and Galaxy Lord. Well... Galaxy Lord is nowadays a crazy commander, specially for me that owns a SS commander, so Brian or Dark Sky. Hard decision and I decided to remove Brian. I miss him so much in my fleet that everyday I think about removing Dark Sky for him... But why do I miss him and why I didn't keep him? I'll try to answer these two questions while I give my opinion about Brian.

To begin the analysis I need to remember how disappointing Brian was he tap first released him. We were all waiting for a counter to Caroline and obviously this counter would be crazy. Caroline has that annoying Dodge buff that is even more annoying when you sum it up with her accumulator recovery. Every round the buff is renewed and you need to see your commanders missing, missing, missing... Some people decided to use Dor. Ok, he is a natural counter to Caroline, but he was already old and his attributes are definitely not impressive, but he gives hit rate and has also the accumulator recovery. But people like me wanted more. I preferred not to use the old Dor and wait for the newest commander with hit rate buff, but it obviously should come with acc recover, or, in most of the fights, only one or two rounds would not be enough or you would need to sacrifice your strategy to put the support commander to fire in the beginning. Brian with no acc recover was a deception and the sales were not good, so Tap decided to change him and boots his buff and give him the acc recovery he needed. I needed to have him. With Carolines all around the hit rate buff was obviously his main characteristic, but that block buff is so great and made, specially, my Bernard so happy. Brian is really a great support that can help the fleet to win even really hard battles. Brian is also a Tank. That HP steal is really strong and can make him sustain even a 3 enemy line if they don't have a good disable. Brian shows his values as a very versatile commander that fits great in any fleet.

I consider Brian one of the most tactical commanders in the game, but still I removed him. Well, I basically preferred Dark Sky over him, but I think this only worth because my Dark is +15. With this augument Dark Sky can remove enough acc to not allow most of the commanders to release their special when they manage to survive his attack. As Dark Sky is a cross attacker he has even more tactical value and I can start the battle with him if my enemy doesn't starts with Galaxy Lord. That is the main reason why Brian is not still in my fleet. Except from that I'd not change him for a +14 Dark Sky, even if I had only a +7 Brian (in most of the cases). Well, this is the way I play. I like to start the battle and try to decide it as fast as possible, so Brian would not help as much as Dark Sky, as with Galaxy Lord around Brian is not a good starter.

Now that I removed Brian I need to pay the price. Caroline is again a pain to fight against and my commanders lost in defensive buffs, as now I can't count with that amazing 100% block buff. I really miss to see my commanders blocking and firing specials again and again, specially Bernard.

To not say I completely removed Brian from my plans I can say that every day he helps me to defeat primus. Brian + Louise is a great combo, as I only need to make her to be in primus aim and Brian to give her the block buff to continuously see that crazy stasis shield in my fleet. Great combo that gives me a nice amount of cubits and fun every day. The only problem here is that my fights against primus are infinity and Tap still didn't fix the problem that in this situation the game freezes and needs to be closed and reopened. Every day I need to use the robots, or I can't play properly.

I really hope you can talk even more about this great commander. Are you saving to buy him? Is he giving you nightmares? Do you want to add anything in the article? Come on and let's discuss about this great commander.

See you in the Galaxy!
    Last edited by Anakin; October 10th, 2017 at 14:37.
    Galactic Chairman

As always great commander focus on Brian who is a commander I wanted but don't have yet. The reason being that I have Caroline and well we all have to play with our credits as we see fit, and Caroline was for me presented before Brian came around. Anyhow why do I still want Brian cause I like the skill as a support commanders which could make my Caroline hit even more, and block (if not dodged). Yes with GL around Brian is less favorable as GL is undoing the positive buff hence undoing the hit rate and block for the commanders that will be hit and that is quite annoying. Still Brian is on my list if I can get hold of him for a cheap price, as I like that he can a tank with the HP plunder over an over again. And I do agree that Dark Sky (+15) is what you selected with his 60 accum plunder...
    World684(iOS) - Lvl 110
    Fleet: Elena [+15], Nicholas [+15], Richard[+15], Roland (SS)[+15] and Slade (T5)[+15].

Brigadier
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeroux View Post
    As always great commander focus on Brian who is a commander I wanted but don't have yet. The reason being that I have Caroline and well we all have to play with our credits as we see fit, and Caroline was for me presented before Brian came around. Anyhow why do I still want Brian cause I like the skill as a support commanders which could make my Caroline hit even more, and block (if not dodged). Yes with GL around Brian is less favorable as GL is undoing the positive buff hence undoing the hit rate and block for the commanders that will be hit and that is quite annoying. Still Brian is on my list if I can get hold of him for a cheap price, as I like that he can a tank with the HP plunder over an over again. And I do agree that Dark Sky (+15) is what you selected with his 60 accum plunder...
    Considering Rick is the most OP of any commander in GL history, what do you think about Fedor and his 80% reflection? If I have 3 in a row in front of Rick, yeah I'll most likely lose all 3, but their 80% reflection would destroy him. If I could somehow incorporate Brian too, that would be a nasty set of buffs. My question is how would Brian's special work with Fedors? I don't see many combos out there using both. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alarinn View Post
    Considering Rick is the most OP of any commander in GL history, what do you think about Fedor and his 80% reflection? If I have 3 in a row in front of Rick, yeah I'll most likely lose all 3, but their 80% reflection would destroy him. If I could somehow incorporate Brian too, that would be a nasty set of buffs. My question is how would Brian's special work with Fedors? I don't see many combos out there using both. Any thoughts?
    Using either Fedor or SL reflection is a common way to defeat Rick. I often position my SL so this happens (when I know where opponent Rick is and order of firing). However, this works for first Rick. Then you have to consider Herbert's revival which is fairly common nowadays. This is the tricky part, since you lost 3 ships in first turn and then Rick is with 100 accumulator again you now don't have any way to defeat Rick again.

One way I use for this purpose is sacrificing two ships with SL reflection, without any of them being SL. RIck won't die, but it will be crippled and then Caroline can take him out with 2nd part of her special. Then on second round Rick hits a still buffed SL and either dies entirely (if SL dodged all other hits in between) or gets severely crippled again, thus Caro can take him out again.
    If for some reason Rick fires before my SL it is no big deal as well. Then SL lowers Rick accu below 100 (with the overall plundering, even if Rick is invisible) and Rick won't be able to kill him in the next round, but will get dmged and we go back to the first scenario.
    This doesn't work everytime, cause if I face much stronger opponents usually they can hit my SL down or dmg him a lot to cripple this scenario. Also still not being 110 doesn't help much. But 30% of the time maybe I can get away with it even against lvl110 opponents that aren't way stronger than me.