Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander Focus #22: Ursa

Galactic Chairman

Commander Focus #22: Ursa

***Two big news in the end of the article!!***

Screenshot_20170529-212437.jpg
    Hello Commanders,

In this week handbook we are going to discuss about Ursa. A lot of people got really impressed when Ursa was released and they used to ask my opinion about him. They were saying he is too overpower and would completely unbalance the game, but I used to say that despite he is really strong he is like a joker card. What do I mean with that, you may ask. Ursa is that kind of commander that can beat a full fleet alone, but he has a skill that is not automatically, so he is super dependent on both fleet formations. But, before we go deeply in this kind of analyses let me first talk about his main characteristics

Ursa's special has the ability to increases own attack and s-attack by 800% for 3 rounds (!!!!!) and his base attack is already really high. Even with a small value in the s-attack attribute he will be able to do an amazing and powerful attack if he is buffed. He has a initial 20% anticritical, that is not high, but is nice and helps a lot. He also has a solid base block of 20% that is increased after his special is released by 80% and it lasts also 3 rounds!!! Although, as I said, his ability is not triggered automatically. He needs an allie to be killed so he can buff himself. That's why I believe he depends a lot in formations, as the he depends in a third part to releases his true potential.

A detail that some people miss about him is his base 30% S-Damage reduction. Together with a very high block values makes Ursa a real tank that can sustain a full fleet like they were hitting a very solid wall.

In the Lieutenants part I prefer tow of them in special: Krill and Elsa. Krill is great for Ursa, as he can make the tank to recover himself to a previous stronger version of the same fight. I've seen that happening and Fristert's Ursa being able to defeat alone even Pong's fleet (lost the video ). The problem with Krill is that in the beginning of the battle there is a high chance that Ursa can back to a not buffed version, so this may be a problem. Elsa, in my experience, is more deadly, as with her Ursa normally hits 3 times invisle and practically invulnerable against debuffs, such as locks, Azrael's curse, damage reductions and frezzes. I believe the only thing that makes Ursa not a constant appearance in CCC is that he is kinf of unpredictable, as I said. As Fristert doesn't like to play CCC we didn't have the chance to see a really strong Ursa in action.

I couldn't end this article without mentioning Ursa's great potential for primus. Fristert for example is making about 45b damage with a robot. As primus is a very controlled environment for formations we can take Ursa's special full benefits and make him hits primus like a monster (you can see in the video I'll put in the end of the article).

So, even if Ursa may not be super famous as FD, Azrael, Stratus and some others, do you want him in your fleet? What's your experience using him or fighting against him? Are you planning to buy him? Let's discuss about this amazing commander!

Before I say good bye I'd like to bring a good news: We will now post videos of the commanders in action to complete the reading part. The videos are edited by the amazing Adrian Teodorescu and the first one can be found in http://youtu.be/J-xlKAuiJ0w

The second great news is that we will randomly select 3 participants to win credits prizes. The prizes will be in order:
    1: 3000 credits
    2: 1500 credits
    3: 500 credits

We will consider the members that comment in this article until December 30.

See you in the Galaxy and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Anakin; May 30th, 2017 at 00:40.
    Galactic Chairman

Most fun to play ship there is.

He can turn the tide of the battle in an instant, as this video I recorded shows

Yes, he can be circumstantial, but so is Azrael with the 70% chance.
    Last edited by Hernan D; December 27th, 2016 at 02:28.
    Hernan D.s430
    World 230 iOS

Three-Star Admiral
    the problem with ursa is it is meant to shoot second where speed is of no concern to owner. however by virtue of going second you give up intiative and is purely guessing opponents locker/debuffer/OH killer position. of course this goes the same for say an azrael/stratus owner. but i can often guess where ursa can be as his position is limited and usually at the back as he cannot survive the first hits. so if i have many cross/multiple attackers (as evident with very common azrael, stratus, incendos, even fritz and star fugly-frog tho not as common) he is mostly dead. so like you mentioned if he gets lucky he'll definitely wipe the floor but chances are lower than 70% of Azrael's special if enemy is loaded with cross/multiple attackers.

edit: additionally if he is your only trump card and winning strategy it is quite unlikey he recovers to fight back (unless krilled, but that gives another chance of failure as mentioned in an already chancey fight) whereas the rest when likewise krilled can have a better chance of fighting back and ultimately winning.

of course this gives rise to very innovative strategies like using akhenaton (a very workable solution) one of the mod's idea?
    Last edited by rx3; December 27th, 2016 at 05:07.

One-Star Admiral
    If you fire 2nd, then you need a bit of luck.
    With Elsa as Lt & the 9th cell unlocked, I would let Ursa be my first Cmdr to fire.
    The other Cmdrs would be cannon fodder.
    Then I only need Elsa's invisibility to activate after Ursa has fired
    Of course with StarLord's reflective damage, Ursa might be killed when the damage is reflected back

Every Cmdr has their strengths & weaknesses.
    800% ATK & S-ATK can take down Geoffrey with full shield
    Last edited by CalicoGray88; December 27th, 2016 at 06:47.

The Tap4Fun definition of "rounds" realllllly needs to be updated to be based on the firing order of the commander that gave the buff. I've lost many a battle against Star-Lord due to SL firing his regular attack shot at Ursa and having it get block-countered back (death to SL), but the damned "bonus" round of a buff for the caster means 4-5m damage comes back to Ursa. That's usually not the first damage dealt to Ursa either.

He'll be in my fleet for a long time to come. While I currently use a strategic fleet centered on Ursa, he doesn't need catering to make himself deadly. Give him Azrael / FD / Fitz as teammates, and imagine how frustrated your opponents are now - once they complete the arduous task of defeating a potent S5 commander, they have a revenge-mad ranger breathing hot fire all up in their grilles.

Anyone with good modules and gala has his buffed block above 150%. This means Alfreds are TOAST if they fire a regular attack towards a buffed Ursa - it's a guaranteed block & counter.

This thread doesn't touch on the nuances of True Damage and the Wainfury, but that's OK. Put it this way: Wainfury comes last. Whatever you would have done, you now multiply it by 8.
    time's up.

One-Star Admiral
    Sounds like Starlord is the counter to Ursa.
    A very expensive counter.

Three-Star Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoGray88 View Post
    Sounds like Starlord is the counter to Ursa.
    A very expensive counter.
    agree if both are the last guys standing. however unlikely coz by then star fugly-frog would be the first to fire and also would most likely be the first few to die.

Привет. Есть во флоте, иногда вытаскивает заведомо проигрышные бои. Ни разу не пожалел, что купил его. На примусе так вообще монстр, кучу урона набираю. Всем рекомендую.

Comandante es bueno

I love my Ursa, I love my Ursa, I love my Ursa.

I got Ursa by accident. I was completing side tasks where you had to spend a certain amount of credits. I thought I would try my luck with Ursa. Not that I really wanted him. A DNA dropped just when I didn't expect him. It was of course a bit of a trap as the second DNA was more expensive but still survivable. Probably because nobody had him on my world because of his speed.
    I learnt it the hard way that there is really not much point getting the commanders that everyone wants. Everyone had Geoffrey when I got that protector and soon battles became very unpredictable and went on to infinite number of rounds. Now 'everyone' has Fearsome D and I thought I really need to skip the FD bandwagon.
    I started taking third, second and later even first rank in Arena. I am loving my Ursa.
    I don't like placing him as first shooter because if the enemy is faster, then he just dies. Pointless. I tend to hide him at the back. Geoffrey helps to keep everyone alive until Ursa's SATK and by then the protector shields drop enough to let one of my ships to die. Once that's done, Ursa will handle the case. It is a very good point when he starts firing those lethal 800% damage attacks. Let's say right bang in the middle there is a commander that gets killed in the second round. The next ship is URSA and you would expect him to fire those 800% immediately but no, it's in the next turn I find. (There are people who can analyse battles better.) But the 30% S damage reduction and the 80% block boost are very nice. This means that once it has the block 80%, it counters almost everything for three rounds.

Lt - Elsa!

Since I got him Infinite Cosmos has become easier. Before Ursa it took about 5-6 days to clear a level, now about 3.
    He is also beneficial in Primus. Close to 100m damage with robot.

Gala set up: Magic Ray R6 (Hit rate+crit), Spiritual R6 (crit atk+anti crit), Chant R6 (block+penetration) a bit of flash, ATK, SATK, Meteor and accu+def.

Finally, two videos. Both enemies have 4 +7 commanders, I only have one (Geoffrey). I am significantly weaker compared to both. Yet, Ursa magic...

1. My force is 600m with some lvl1 and lvl2 paint. The opponent has 900m+ force with lvl2 paint. My fleet was already damaged as I hadn't repaired ships after primary battles.

Second video in a new post as you are only allowed one per post.
    Last edited by svpluto; December 27th, 2016 at 16:55.