Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquer the Cosmos - how to play it right ?

Corporal

Conquer the Cosmos - how to play it right ?

Ok, I think my last thread was too wordy, so I figured I'd give it another go... I've only had one experience with Space War so far, so I was wondering how people go about choosing their targets.

I was mostly attacking people at random until I found someone who returned around 35 or more points, but in a few cases, I would keep losing and really only seem to find like one person that I could beat and be only worth 20 or so points... That started to get me wondering about using the double attack on the opening, but at a cost of 4 attacks, I was reluctant to do it.

One thing I did notice is that we occasionally get an opponent that only had 2 people, and oftentimes both were way more powerful than anyone on our side. That made me think that if there is some totaling of points involved with deciding opponents, that those that have fewer people are likely to be more powerful individually, so those might be best left alone.

One other thing that I was questioning was how important those consecutive victory rewards could get. I kept finding myself concentrating really hard on getting wins at the beginning, but then getting into the 60s or 70s and forgetting that I'm trying to avoid losing and take a risk I shouldn't have. Is that something most people try to work towards or is it really more important to find those high value targets that can be beat?

One more thing I wasn't sure of is if there seemed to be a pattern to where the more powerful opponents are located (like closer to the center or towards the top) or if it is pretty much just random.

Anyway, this seems like a topic that I've rarely seen discussed, so I wasn't sure if that was because there is too much randomness to truly develop a strategy or if it just hasn't come up on the forums yet...
    Zyrex.s506 / World1409 / Android

Zyrex, space wars are all about communication and numbers. To get the really high consecutive victories you either need to have a volunteer scout or create a scouting account for your alliance. The scout reports back to the alliance how strong all the opponents are allowing each ally to choose a target they will win against. The second part of winning is getting you're whole alliance to attack together and hoping you opponent doesn't have unlimited credits.

Malicious here is correct. If you haven't already, create a second account for your alliance (but don't name it something that is obviously a scout account - you want any opponents in space war to waste time verifying its stats). Share the log-in info for this account with the dedicated players in your alliance, so that it can be used to scout (or take Pandora nodes...) even if you are busy. Another argument for sharing the scout is you can all chip in to make it VIP5. this means you can't scope the paintcoat situation, but you can still see the enemy's commanders. When the space war starts (at a predetermined time, because your alliance is playing together and not separately..), you are in your scout account, and you take out 1) the enemy fortress, 2) the enemy protector, and then 3) begin attacking players who are not obvious scouts (name of the alliance, war, scout, a duplicate name of another opponent... etc), and then in your Alliance Chat report back @name, @level, @force, @paintcoats, @specialCommanders.

For example if you are lvl 30, even if your force dwarfs your opponent, your allies are going to want to know that this guy has Lance+50 and thus is probably going to break streaks, so you would comment something like "trojanHorse lv29 50k Lance+50"

If you have a dedicated scout, organized alliance, and take a mid-night bathroom break, it is quite easy to make 500 consecutive wins out of the 606-ish total free battle supply provided.
    time's up.

Corporal
    Ok, so now you guys have me flashing back to Everquest days and realizing I would never be able to keep up because I'm not willing to put the time in that someone in a high end raiding guild would be putting in to get the cool new toys...

It is definitely good for me to understand the level of competition I'm up against, it is definitely impressive to see people working together so that everyone in the alliance is able to reap the benefits. It's actually possible my alliance is doing things like that, just that most of the communication isn't in English, so I would be totally oblivious (I'm just glad I finally got into an alliance that has no issues getting Cosmic Expeditions off constantly...)

I do appreciate the responses, but I think the end result is that I just need to get used to losing Hopefully, others will be able to benefit from that information, as it definitely sounds like a good plan if you've got a group that can work together like that.
    Zyrex.s506 / World1409 / Android

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrex View Post
    Ok, so now you guys have me flashing back to Everquest days and realizing I would never be able to keep up because I'm not willing to put the time in that someone in a high end raiding guild would be putting in to get the cool new toys...

It is definitely good for me to understand the level of competition I'm up against, it is definitely impressive to see people working together so that everyone in the alliance is able to reap the benefits. It's actually possible my alliance is doing things like that, just that most of the communication isn't in English, so I would be totally oblivious (I'm just glad I finally got into an alliance that has no issues getting Cosmic Expeditions off constantly...)

I do appreciate the responses, but I think the end result is that I just need to get used to losing Hopefully, others will be able to benefit from that information, as it definitely sounds like a good plan if you've got a group that can work together like that.
    The game has an automatic translator that should function just fine if you aren't in China without your VPN (it uses some channel that gets blocked unless you use a VPN). Click the globe icon with the "swap" arrows, in either chat or in your mailbox. And lastly - try to get everyone to use UTC or the in-game time.. it is rather often to find players who schedule things but forget to mention they mean at that time, in Moscow, and not by the game clock
    Your alliance will happily join in, as if they are serious about it, they will want to maximize their rewards as well.
    time's up.

Corporal
    Wow, that is really cool! I never guessed there'd be a function like that. I now know that my alliance really likes hitting that button for asking people to join an expedition

Conquer the Cosmos - how to do it right :)

Strategy guide: Space War aka Conquer Cosmos

Note: This post was also initially written for my teammates, but i hope it will be of some use to the community

In this post i will outline a possible strategy to follow in order to get best results possible for every alliance member.

I will start with the most interesting part: the REWARDS

The event has 4 different categories of bonuses.
    In each class, there are different types of bonuses. I will outline briefly those classes and bonus winning conditions

1. Rank rewards. There is a reward for alliance position in event top (alliance ranking) and an another reward for individual score (player ranking)

Alliance score in event is a mathematical sum of individual scores of ALL alliance members. Therefore, in order to get best possible alliance reward ALL alliance members have to maximize their individual scores.

Individual score is given by merit points achieved by a player for every single battle in Player vs Player (PvP) The highest score for a single PvP battle a player can get is 40 merit points.
    I will address further this subject, but for time being is enough to state that we will have to struggle that every single battle will net to every player 40 Merit points

2. Per war reward.
    PvP battles take place in 1 hour-long wars.
    A war can be started by our team, or an opposing team can start a war against us. IMPORTANT NOTE: it is mandatory to not fight in wars that are not started by us.

After every single war concludes, the alliance that wins that war get a merit points multiplier x2 for all participants. In other words, every time a war is won, the merit points obtained by each player are doubled (!)

3. Winning streaks rewards. Every player get quite nice rewards by achieving certain numbers of wins in a streak

4. Total number of battles won by player. There is a reward for every milestone.

5. Total number of battles started by a player (it does not matter if won or lost). Also a milestone based reward set.

As you can see, in order to maximize the bonuses collected by every alliance members several conditions has to be met:

1. Every PvP battle has to net 40 merit points or at least 32-34 to our team members
    2. Every PvP battle started by every player in the alliance has to be won.
    I mean EVERY SINGLE PvP BATTLE started by our alliance members (except one, that has a very particular role)
    3. All battle supplies (energy) has to be used.
    4. Every war we start has to be won, so we can get our scores doubled
    5. Players should not use 'Violent attack' under any circumstances. This attack will net you a mere 10 merit points per battle supply (energy)
    6. Last but not least - all alliance members have to participate in all the wars declared (started) by our alliance. And ONLY in those. Alliance members should not attempt even a single hit in the wars started against us by other alliances.

Battle supplies are recovered at a rate of one supply in every 7 min 30 sec, up to a maximum of 32

Now, as we got an goid idea how it works, i will outline the strategy i'm suggesting to use during Conquer Cosmos events

1. Battle supplies are recovered fully in 4 hours ( 32 * 7.5 min = 240 min). One war last for one hour. Since it is pointless to start a war when battle supply are not fully recovered, it is obvious that we will have to start a new war after 3 hours 50 minutes since last war declared by us has ended up.

2. The war will be started only (and i really mean it) by LittleBoy (note: LittleBoy is a side account used as a spy in the Conquer the Cosmos). LittleBoy has the first task to destroy the Protector (4 battles) and then to fight once with every opponent in order to reveal his force, battle formation and commanders. I estimate that 10 minutes are enough to remove protector and to scout all enemies on the map
    Once the scouting is done, i will create an album and i will place in it a set of screenshots:
    Battle map(s) with opponents, their level and force
    For relevant opponents, a screenshot with battlefield layout and used commanders will be added too
    (another note: we are using LINE software for alliance chat. Albums are a facility of this software)

3. Based on this full recon, all players that are ready for battle will choose a target that has a force at about 55-75% of their own.
    I. E. If you have a 3 mil force, you will have to choose on the map an opponent with force in 1.6 - 2.1 mil range)
    DO NOT FORGET to check opponent commanders and battle layout and adjust your formation and tactics accordingly !
    In the same time, make sure your selected opponent level is not lower than yours with more than 4 (i.e. if you're at level 70, your opponent should be at least lvl 65)

4. Once a suitable target is found, attack it and check the outcome - if you get 40 Merit points, then you should attack this target repeatedly until all available battle supplies are used. Also use the 6-7 additional battle suplies that you will get during the war. In best case, you should have 0 battle supply when the war is over. If the target you have chosen does not net you desired 40 points, try to find an another one that will do it.
    In any circumstances, you should attack the target that will net you maximum merit per used energy and will guarantee you the victory!!!

5. There is possible that we will run into an opponent that we can't handle.
    In this case, we have to spend 8 battle supplies in fighting against the Nuclear Fortress and stop. An another war will be started right after this one will end.

6. The first war will be started right after the event begin, and the next war will be scheduled as explained before - it may be in 3 h 50 min from the moment when previous war is over or can be scheduled in no time if conditions from pct 5 are met

Now i would share with you my guess about how i think the game mechanic does work when opposing team is selected.

Opposing teams are selected based on total alliance exposed force. I. E. The power of all alliance members as it is shown in server ranking AT THE MOMENT WHEN A WAR IS DECLARED. And the game starts to look for an alliance that is not in the war at the moment and has similar total power.

If my guess is correct, we can control the force of the opponents we will encounter by lowering our force for a minute or two before a new war is started.

This is also the reason why i suggest to not recruit more alliance members (post -edit note: My alliance has 14 members)

Keep in mind that, on average, alliances have 20+ members.
    Having only a dozen of alliance members, we can lower our fleets power by removing one or two commanders from active formation before the war is declared.
    Once all alliance members confirm that their fleets are in correct order, the leader will start the war.

On an average, we will have (for the sake of this calculation) 1 mil power per player. That will net a total of 12 mil alliance force. Therefore, we will have to face enemies with (12/20) ~ roughly 400-500 k force.

Now we have to wait for scouting report from the spy side account.

Once scouting is done, choose your targets, aim and fire !

This way, we will get victory multiplier for merit points in every war started by us, every player will have a really nice winning streak, and we will get almost in every PvP maximum amount of merit points possible (40)

The only thing that will have to be done in order to climb up the ladder is to strictly respect the combat strategy, the schedule for wars and maybe to use some credits to get additional merit

So, each player's goal should be to maximize his personal score, his winning streak, his total number of won battles and finally the alliance score.

The war should be declared by a designated player and only by him. I would suggest the spy account

First war will be declared in first moments after event start (presumingly 00:00 GMT)
    10 minutes before a war is declared, all players should remove one or two their commanders from active battle formation.

Once this fleet regrouping is done, players should place a short message in LINE chat stating that they are done with it.
    For this reason, i will kindly ask everybody to stop all irrelevant communication in chat room until the war is declared.

In first moments of each war, LittleBoy has the task to break opponent defenses and to gather all relevant information about the enemy.

There can be 2 different scenarios at this moment of the war:
    a) the opponent alliance counts only 2-5 players, each of them being stronger than we are
    b) the opposing alliance is a regular one, with 12-22 members, most of them weaker than we are.

In first case (the abnormal situation), you're advised to attack Nuclear Fortress 8 times and stop.
    Each war last 1 hour. During this hour you will recover used 8 battle suplies, ending up the war with full reserve of 32 battle supplies.
    An another war will be launched immediately when this one will end.

In the second case (the regular one), we will fight as described before

Once the war period is over, the next one will be started in 3 hours and 50 minutes.

Important: once the war is started, reform your battle formation to the regular state (the one you use in arena, for instance) to avoid being plundered in mining fields

Once the resting time will be over and battle energy will be recovered, a new war will be declared by LittleBoy and we will start over (preparation: battle formation weakening, breaking down enemy defenses, scouting, etc)

Players who feel the desire to spend some credits on additional battles: I will advise you to do it in last few hours of the event - you will have a better idea how much you need to spend in order to jump to a better rewarded place.

Pliusomiot.s480 / world1383 / Android
    Last edited by Pliusomiot; December 13th, 2015 at 13:58.

All the tactics for the galactic war relevant to attend the alliance's 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrex View Post
    Wow, that is really cool! I never guessed there'd be a function like that. I now know that my alliance really likes hitting that button for asking people to join an expedition
    Yes, not obvious. I was mute for about 5 months until i saw it explained in the forum

Nice article and interesting theory about the matching. I am not sure the matching works like that. For a long time we fought with a full alliance and encountered stronger, weaker and equal strong alliances in terms of player count and total alliance force. But I will watch more carefully next time.

Regarding the schedule I'd like to say it is a mathematical approach which focuses primarily at not to waste a single supply. What about focusing on doubling every supply? I mean if you wait only 3 hours after your last war ended you will gain the flexibility to just wait one war if the opponent does not fit. No need to spend supplies at the fortress. The question is can you usually win with 24 + 6-7 supplies or do you need 32 + 6-7.

Another issue with your "every 4 hours and 50 minutes schedule" is: Players have a real life (at least some). Many are part of a social concept called family. I can't tell my wife on monday morning: "Darling, could you bring the kids to school, today? I have to prepare for Cosmos Wars!!!" Having your perfect schedule will cause some of your imperfect members to miss a scheduled war and therefore lose lots of Merits. Higher war frequency will be more forgiving if you cannot enter a war at the beginning of even missed one. The same holds true for sleep times. I know some alliances share accounts with players distributed in different time zones. But if a game requires that just to be successful I consider it a problem of the game not mine.

But honestly I think the rewards of CtC do not justify high planning and coordination effort. It was different in the past with up to 3 Nukes R-5 as the usual high price for a normal active alliance. In the pre-Refine and pre-Primus Invasion era it was worth the investment of time and maybe money but now?

Another point to the alliance scout. Using one makes sense if you need all the goods from the streaks (Nuke R-5, Chroma Prisms). But if you do not need that stuff anymore (or can risk to lose it) I recommend at least the strong players to scout with their PVP fleet. It is just a lot of fun to battle with many, many unknown(!) opponents and watch how the own fleet performs (or not). For me it's the most funny part of the whole event. And I still make 30k Merits easily within our team. The recommended procedure of scouting and then all members just attack their best matching opponent makes it a boring mechanical procedure (at least for me).
    Last edited by Nachteule; December 15th, 2015 at 12:56.
    Galactic Chairman
    Repair Station Section Leader
    Event log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    PVP: Raksha [+T3], Vela'rath [+15], Nicholas [+15], Slade T-IV [+15], Roland [+15]